The African Ministers Council on Water (AMCOW) is an intergovernmental, Pan-African, non-budgetary institution working under the Specialized Technical Committee on Agriculture, Rural Development, Water and Environment of the African Union (AU) and provides political oversight on water resources and sanitation in Africa. AMCOW’s mission is to promote cooperation, security, social and economic development, and poverty alleviation among member states through the effective management of the continent’s water resources and the provision of water supply and sanitation services. AMCOW is mandated to provide political leadership in the implementation of the African Water Vision 2025 and water components of the African Union’s Agenda 2063. For more information, refer to http://www.amcow-online.org.
The overall objective of the assignment is to support AMCOW in copy editing and proofreading of the following Policy documents:
1- AMCOW Employee Code of Conduct – 1,310 words.
2- Conflict of Interest Policy – 873 words.
3- Finance Manual – 18,851 words
4- ICT Policy & Procedures Manual – 20,142 words
5- Performance Management Policy – 3,590 words.
6- Procurement Manual – 27,838 words.
7- Security and Staff Safety Policy – 11,418 words.
8- Staff Handbook – 19,989 words.
3. Detailed activities and deliverables
Below describe the critical activities and deliverables.
· improving and rewriting where necessary to improve comprehensibility and clarity;
· perfecting spelling and punctuation based on UK English style;
· correcting all grammatical and syntax errors;
· ensuring consistent font, italicisation, number style, etc.;
· checking for consistent and appropriate terminology;
· rewriting as appropriate to ensure a single author voice throughout and a flowing narrative;
· improving the formality of language where necessary;
· add any cross referencing within the document that might be helpful;
· checking that all citations and references are correct according to British Standard Harvard conventions;
· ensuring the tone and written style of the document is appropriate and accessible for the proposed audiences.
· Check spelling and presentation of Member States' names.
· Check other proper names (for cities, international conventions, organizations, named individuals, etc.).
· Edit chapter titles, subheadings and table and figure legends for brevity, consistency and parallel construction, and check numbering if appropriate.
· Check formatting of chapters, sections, subsections, paragraphs, lists (e.g. with bullet points) and table
and figure captions for consistency.
· Check that references have been cited in the correct sequence.
· Minimum of master’s degree in Information and Library Science, English, or other related fields.
· 7 to 10 relevant experience, demonstrated ability to write, edit or proofread large documents and reports for various audiences, with portfolios that include guidelines and fact sheets of policies.
· Essential: Previous track record of writing, editing or copy-editing for international agencies.
· Familiarity: A good understanding of Policies and Procedures for international organisations policies, terminologies and the relation to global best practices.
· Fluency in English is essential
· Solid editorial skills with demonstrated ability for logical and analytical writing and editing
· Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and produce quality work in a short time, within deadlines and under pressure
· Ability to work independently
· Computer proficiency including Internet and Microsoft Office
· Strong communication and interpersonal skills
· Demonstrated cultural sensitivity and sound judgment
· Strong organizational skills.
5. Contract Management
· The Consultant will report to the Director of Finance and Administration(DFA) who will oversee all the technical aspect of the consultancy including the approval of the deliverables. The Consultant can contact the team leader at any time to seek technical clarification regarding the work.
· The contractor will be expected to submit an invoice within 5 days after outputs for each policy outlined in above has been delivered and approved by the DFA.
· Payments will be made within 15 working days after the invoice is received from the contractor.
The Consultant will be responsible for all other costs including taxes on fees, communication and any costs associated with this assignment.
7. Application Process
Interested candidates are requested to review the requirements for Qualifications and Competencies. Candidates meeting these requirements are encouraged to submit
· a detailed CV,
· a one-page cover letter, and
· the total costs with detailed explanation for each Policy. Interested candidates are expected to provide quotes for each document with clear justifications of how they arrived at that cost. This may be cost per 1000 words for each policy document. Submit your application package to: email@example.com
The deadline to submit the application is: 28th March 2021.