Institutions: AMCOW with the support of Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation (BMGF)
Detailed Description of the Activity:
The African Ministers’ Council on Water (AMCOW) has the primary mission of providing political leadership, policy direction and advocacy in the provision, use, and management of water resources for sustainable social and economic development and maintenance of African ecosystems. The African Union Commission considers AMCOW serves as a support mechanism to its Specialized Technical Committee (STC) to drive the achievement of impactful results in the water and sanitation sectors. At the African Union Heads of State and Government Summit of July 2008, the African Minister’s Council on Water (AMCOW) was mandated to report annually on progress achieved in implementing the African Union (AU) commitments made in the 2008 Sharm El-Sheikh Commitments on water and sanitation, taking into account several international agreements including the Africa Water Vision 2025, the Africa Agenda 2063, as well as the global Sustainable Development Goals 6 (SDG-6) targets on clean water and sanitation.
In response to this directive, AMCOW in collaboration with the African Union Commission, and with financial support from Africa Water Facility (AWF) through the Africa Development Bank (AfDB), developed a web-based reporting system, the African Water and Sanitation Sector Monitoring and Reporting System (WASSMO) in October 2015: https://www.africawat-sanreports.org/Ui. This platform provides for reporting on water and sanitation sector indicators under seven themes: water infrastructure for growth; managing and protecting water resources; water supply, sanitation, hygiene, and wastewater; climate change and disaster risk reduction (DRR); governance and institutions; and financing.
In June, AMCOW launched the 2023 WASSMO data collection campaign. This year’s data drive is focused on completing the missing baseline information and addressing the current data gaps from 2016 to date. The Secretariat of AMCOW will be conducting in-country missions to provide technical support to Member States as a means of strengthening their capacity to adequately collect the required quality of data for developing Africa’s Water and Sanitation Sector (WASSMO) 2023 Report. It is for this purpose that AMCOW requires the technical assistance of a data analyst expert that will support the cleaning, quality checks, analysis, and visualization of the WASSMO data. The aim is to contribute to the development of a high-quality WASSMO report that is of international reporting standards.
The AMCOW Secretariat is seeking a data analyst and visualisation consultant to support in the analysis and interpretation of the data for developing the 2023 WASSMO report that includes strategic high-level findings and recommendations for insightful decisions by water and sanitation sector decision makers. Data analyst consultant will present the key findings of the different sections of the WASSMO report to AMCOW Secretariat
Tasks and Responsibilities
Through a consultative and participatory process, the consultant will work with the AMCOW Secretariat to perform the following activities:
- Interpret data, analyse results using statistical techniques and provide periodic updates on activity progress.
- Review the existing excel data analytics tools and ensure their compatibility with the WASSMO data collection systems and explore other strategies to enhance statistical efficiency and quality.
- Identify, analyse, and interpret trends or patterns in data sets.
- Filter and “clean” data by reviewing computer reports, printouts.
- Assist the team in improving and streamlining processes regarding data flow and data quality to improve data accuracy, viability, and value.
- Support the delivery of analytics and reporting solutions using Power BI/Data Visualization software or others.
- Present the analysis per themes and country status.
- WASSMO data exploration, analysis and modelling performed on the database, resulting in a clean data set to inform the 2023 WASSMO report narrative.
- Any additional deliverables that are part of the WASSMO data analytics outputs (infographics, charts, etc.)
Qualification and Experience
- Minimum of a master’s degree in Statistics, Economics, Information Systems, Mathematics, Business Analysis, Management, or related field. PhD is an added advantage.
- At least 15 years experiences as senior statistician or related field.
- High Intelligence Quotient, Computer Science, or Knowledge in working with several Statistical Software is required.
- Relevant work experience as a data analyst or business data analyst and visualisation for both quantitative and qualitative data.
- Familiarity with AMCOW Secretariat work and water and sanitation sector landscape in Africa.
- Strong writing abilities with articulative skills to develop a concise quality research analytic report on the results of Member States’ WASSMO data.
- Excellent command of written and spoken English. French will be an added advantage.
Skills and abilities
- Highly skilled in research and analysis: Very strong qualitative and analytic skills; keen attention to detail and data accuracy.
- Technical expertise regarding data models, database design development, data mining and segmentation techniques
- Knowledge of statistics and experience using statistical packages for analysing datasets (Excel, SPSS, STATA, SAS etc.)
- Excellent communication skills: Strong knowledge of and experience with Data reporting packages (Business Objects etc.), databases (SQL etc.), and data visualization tools (Microsoft Power BI, Tableau, etc.)
- Other: Demonstrated competence with using standard data software packages (MS Excel, MS Access, etc.).
The contract will be effective from date of signing and for a maximum of 90 days
Mode and logistics
The consultancy service will be provided remotely
How to apply
Interested candidates who meet the required qualifications and experience are invited to submit updated profile and cover letter explaining their motivation and why best suited for the assignment. Candidates are also encouraged to provide samples of previous related works.
AMCOW only accept applications sent via email – firstname.lastname@example.org
Please forward the application in English through the stated email no later than 29 September 2023.
The Executive Secretary,
African Ministers Council on Water (AMCOW)
No. 11 T. Y. Danjuma Street, Asokoro District, Abuja, Nigeria.
For more information about AMCOW and its work programme, kindly refer to AMCOW website www.amcow-online.org