Publish date: 6th April 2022
AMCOW is an inter-governmental, African, non-budgetary institution working under the Specialized Technical Committee on Agriculture, Rural Development, Water and Environment of the African Union (AU) and provides political oversight on water resources and sanitation in Africa. AMCOW’s mission is to promote cooperation, security, social and economic development, and poverty alleviation among member states through the effective management of the continent’s water resources and the provision of water supply and sanitation services, and is mandated to provide political leadership in the implementation of the African Water Vision 2025 and water components of the African Union’s Agenda 2063. For more information, refer to: https://www.amcow-online.org/
OBJECTIVE OF THE LEGAL RETAINERSHIP
The objective of the Legal Retainership is for the Attorney to act as a Legal Counsel and Advisor for AMCOW in all Legal matters that might affect the Secretariat and all other AMCOW Organs in the course of carrying out their day-to-day business.
SCOPE OF THE LEGAL RETAINERSHIP
- Advise the Secretariat and other AMCOW Organs such as the Governing Council, EXCO and TAC on legal matters.
- Provide legal opinions relating to the interpretation of all Protocols, Rules and Regulations of the AU, AMCOW, ANBO, RLBOs, RECs, as well as other legal instruments that have a bearing on the mandate of AMCOW.
- Assess the legal implications of the activities and decisions of all deliberative, advisory, and administrative organs of AMCOW, and to participate in the meetings of these organs.
- Oversee the drafting of contracts, host agreements, cooperation agreements and Rules of Procedure of the various organs of AMCOW and other legal instruments.
- Guiding the application of the stipulations of the AMCOW Governance Framework relating to the biennial change of regional representation on the Executive Committee (EXCO) of AMCOW.
- Represent the Secretariat and all organs of AMCOW in judicial proceedings, negotiations or other procedures for the conclusion of agreements or the settlement of disputes.
- Ensure the smooth functioning of and represent the Executive Secretary in the Administrative Tribunal.
- Follow up on issues concerning the implementation of Headquarters and Regional Host Agreements.
- Ensure that the privileges and immunities of AMCOW and its staff and representatives accredited to it are assured, respected and protected as provided for in the Headquarters and Regional Host Agreements and the General Convention on Privileges and Immunities of the AU.
- Follow-up on issues relating to international legal matters.
- Ensure that the legal interaction between the Organs of AMCOW and Member States, other Organisations, individuals and other legal entities are regulated in such a manner that the interests of AMCOW are safeguarded.
- Oversee investigations and preparation of reports on special legal problems.
AWARDING OF CONTRACT
Interested parties, either as individual experts or legal firms, are invited to submit technical proposals. Against the background of the foregoing, the technical proposals should offer details on the respondents’
- proposed approach and methodology of performing the function on a retainership basis;
- academic and professional qualifications (of key staff);
- relevant experience over the last ten years; and
- availability to commence immediately after finalisation of the contract.
The QCBS criteria shall be applied.
Only the respondents with technical proposals that score 70% or more shall be invited to submit financial proposals at a later date.
The overall score shall be weighted in the ratio 80:20 for the technical to the financial proposal.
SUBMISSION OF PROPOSALS
Technical Proposals should be addressed to the Executive Secretary at the address below not later than 30th April 2022.
The Executive Secretary
African Ministers’ Council on Water (AMCOW)
No 11, T.Y Danjuma Street, Asokoro
Attention: Bala Taham
The same e-mail address can be used for requests for additional information and or clarifications.